What is AHIP?
The Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP) is the Medical Library
Association’s credentialing program. AHIP allows you to track your professional
development and expanding career-related knowledge base. The AHIP credential is recognized professionally as a sign of commitment to career growth and development.
How can MAC help?
MAC members have volunteered to serve as AHIP counselors. Contact Allison Matthews, MAC AHIP Coordinator, to be connected to a counselor. A list of MLA members in the MAC region who are willing to mentor Provisional Members is available.
Membership levels and requirements
There are five levels of AHIP membership. The levels correspond to the number of years of professional experience as well as the extent of an individual’s professional accomplishments. Membership lasts for five years and can then be renewed at the same level or a higher level:
- Provisional member: ALA-accredited Master’s degree, less than five years of professional experience (post-Masters degree), 5-8 points for professional accomplishments annually
- Member: at least five years of professional experience, 50 points for professional accomplishments in past five years
- Senior Member: minimum of five years of professional experience, 80 points in past five years
- Distinguished Member: at least ten years of professional experience, 120 points in past five years
- Emeritus Member: retired, but a member of AHIP at any level (except provisional) for ten consecutive years at the time of retirement, written request
- For complete details, go to the MLA Web site.
How to apply
- As a provisional member: You will need to complete an application form, complete the self-review form, as well as provide a current CV or resume, your current job description, and a copy of your diploma/transcript for your master’s degree
- As a member/senior member/distinguished member: You will need to complete an application form, provide documentation of your professional accomplishments/points claimed, your current CV, your current job description, and a copy of your diploma/transcript for your master’s degree
- The various forms are available at the MLA Web site
How to renew
- Provisional members must renew annually until member level (or higher) is achieved
- Member/senior member/distinguished member renewals should be completed before the end of your fifth year of membership
- You will need to submit your professional accomplishments/points claimed for activities in the prior five years
- Renewals at the senior or distinguished level have additional documentation requirements
- Complete information is available at the MLA Web site