California Health Sciences University (CHSU), founded in 2012, offers a
local option for health care professionals seeking doctoral and continuing
education programs in order to help address the shortage of health care
services in the Central Valley. Students from outside of the area can enjoy
the unique combination of high quality of life, affordable cost of living
and plentiful career opportunities that the Valley provides. The College of
Pharmacy was the first program developed due to the high demand for
pharmacists in the region. CHSU plans to open up to 5 doctoral schools to
train health care professionals in the coming years and is considering
Allied Health, Dentistry, Podiatry, and Medicine.
*Job Description*: The Director, Health Sciences Library, is responsible
for the planning, development, implementation and management of all library
and information management programs and services offered by the library,
including the acquisition and/or licensing of information resources. This
position appoints and directs library staff and allocates library resources
in support of the library’s mission and goals. The Director holds a
non-tenured faculty rank at a level commensurate with the criteria for
appointment and promotion of library faculty. As a member of the Clinical
and Administrative Sciences (CAS) Department, this position is expected to
contribute to the teaching responsibilities of the department, particularly
in the areas of information literacy and evidence-based medicine.
*Reports To*: Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, Provost and
Interim Dean of Pharmacy
*Classification*: Full Faculty/Administration
• Establishes and updates library and information management policy,
considering the needs of present and future users within the constraints of
changing fiscal and legal conditions.
• Directs the preparation of the library’s budget proposals and the
library’s financial planning and fund-raising efforts.
• Keeps abreast of developments in the field of health sciences
librarianship, maintaining knowledge of innovative and emerging information
technologies and adapting them for use by the library and other users.
• Provides leadership for short-term and long-term projects and planning,
and is responsible for library strategic planning.
• Responsible for allocation of library personnel, both on a temporary and
permanent basis, for provision of maximum service.
• Master’s degree in library/information science from a program accredited
by the American Library Association required.
• Medical Library Association – Academy of Health Information Professionals
(AHIP) certification required.
• Meets criteria for faculty appointment at an appropriate rank.
• At least seven years of professional experience in an academic health
sciences library, with responsibility for operation of multiple departments
• At least three years of supervisory, planning and budgeting experience
*Salary:* Beginning at $90,000, commensurate with education and experience,
and with faculty rank. Excellent benefits package.
*Application Instructions:* Interested candidates should submit a cover
letter, CV and a list of 3 professional references, to: Joanne Muellenbach,
at: firstname.lastname@example.org (or Dr. Duncan at email@example.com, or Dr.
Abu-Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org).
CHSU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities,
women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.