Employment Opportunities at NLM
The Deputy Chief of the Public Services Division position at the National Library of Medicine is now open on USAJOBS and will close on Monday, May 20, 2013. This brief posting period is because of the federal government’s interest in accelerating the hiring process and should not be interpreted as an indication that someone has already been selected.
Supervisory Librarian (MP)
MP stands for merit promotion. Applicants for MP announcements must be qualified current or former federal employees.
Supervisory Librarian (DE)
DE stands for delegated examining. Typically, candidates who are entering Federal service for the first time from the private sector will need to apply for delegated examining positions.
The position is for a Supervisory Librarian GS-1410-14, with a salary range from $105,211 to $136,771 including locality pay per annum.
The selected candidate will serve as the Deputy Chief of the Public Services Division (PSD), a division of 70 staff members within the National Library of Medicine. The Public Services Division provides a range of services for accessing the Library’s collection and information resources.
The Deputy Chief assists the Division Chief in managing the Division, and is responsible for:
• Establishing and interpreting policies;
• Analyzing programs and assessing resource requirements;
• Formulating long-range plans for the division;
• Overseeing budget and staffing requirements; and
• Representing NLM to various professional and government organizations.
PSD is responsible for contributing to the National Library of Medicine’s mission of providing biomedical research and health information worldwide through a variety of programs and activities, including:
• Providing quality consumer health information through MedlinePlus (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/);
• Providing reference and web services;
• Supporting NLM’s digitization program;
• Ensuring the Library’s collection remains accessible and useable; and
• Providing access to library materials held in the Library’s collection onsite and electronically.
In addition to an interesting, challenging work environment, NLM has a great location on the campus of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. It is a short Metro ride from Washington D.C. and a short walk from Bethesda’s thriving restaurant and retail district.