Estelle Brodman Award for the Academic Medical Librarian of the Year – Call for Nominations
Call for Nominations: Estelle Brodman Award for the Academic Medical
Librarian of the Year.
—> Do you know a colleague who is a mid-career academic health sciences
librarian who is making significant contributions in the area of academic
health sciences librarianship?
—> Are you making a significant impact at your institution in the area of
academic health sciences librarianship?
—> Nominate a colleague or yourself for the Estelle Brodman Award for the
Academic Medical Librarian of the Year!
Established in 1986, the Estelle Brodman Award recognizes an academic
medical librarian at mid-career level who demonstrates significant
achievement, potential for leadership, and continuing excellence. Recipients
will receive a certificate at MLA ’20 in Portland, Oregon, and a cash award
of $500 following the meeting.
What are the criteria for this award?
– The nominee must be a member of MLA.
– The nominee must be in “mid-career” at the time of the award, defined as
someone working at least 5 years and not more than 15 years in an academic
health sciences library.
– The nominee may not be a library director.
– The nominee must have worked in an academic health sciences library for
each of the last five years immediately preceding the nomination, and must
be an academic health sciences librarian at the time of the award.
– The nomination may be made for outstanding national or international
contributions to academic health sciences librarianship as demonstrated by
excellence in performance (leadership), publications, research, service, or
a combination of these four elements.
– The nominee must show potential for leadership and continuing excellence
at mid-career in the area of academic health sciences librarianship.
How do I nominate?
Nominating a candidate for the Estelle Brodman Award is as easy as 1-2-3!
1. Go to the following link on the MLA website
https://www.mlanet.org/p/cm/ld/fid=240, and click on “online application
form” under the section entitled “Ready to Submit a Nomination?”
2. Fill out the form with the nominees’ information as well as a reason for
3. Attach the nominee’s CV or resume (required), and add up to three letters
of support if available (optional).
The deadline for nominations is Friday, November 1st (11:59 CT).
For more information about the award, see the Brodman Award information on
the MLA site, https://www.mlanet.org/page/estelle-brodman-award-for-the-academic-medical-librarian-of-the-year.
Please direct any questions to Have a question? Contact: Judy Smith,