Job Announcement: Circulation Librarian, LSU Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA
School: LSU Health Sciences Center
Functional Position Title Circulation Librarian
Location-City New Orleans
Reporting to the Associate Director, the Circulation Librarian oversees five full time library associates and ensures staffing of Circulation during open hours. The position serves as liaison to one of the six schools served by the Library and delivers responsive and innovative information and instruction services, actively building relationships with faculty, researchers, staff, and students. The position collaborates with a team of health sciences librarians and associates to provide library services. This position may occasionally work evenings or weekends as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities Description
Circulation Services (20%)
- Hires and trains Circulation staff and coordinates services at the Circulation Desk. Schedules staff for 7 days per week operations.
- Assists with inventory of physical collection.
- Collaborates with systems librarian to keep the circulation module of the ILS up-to-date and accurate.
- Indirectly oversees the hiring of and work of 1.5 FTE student workers
- Coordinate special projects conducted by Circulation Staff
- May work weekends or evenings as needed.
Public Services (25%)
- Provides general reference (in-person, email, chat).
- Participates actively in the delivery of library services as an online searcher; designs and executes searches of interest to individual researchers, faculty, students, and practitioners.
- Initiates and establishes liaison relationships with faculty, students, and staff, providing instruction, reference, and consultation services, and participating in departmental activities.
- Collaborate with faculty, administrators, and researchers to determine needs and to design and implement services, training, and instructional materials to meet information needs in a dynamic environment
- Actively promote existing library resources, services, and programs to constituents
- Contribute to committees and task forces that benefit from librarian knowledge and experience
- Contributes to library marketing and communication activities.
Research Services (40%)
- Collaborates with other librarians in supporting data services.
- Investigates new technologies and works with others to develop and revise programs to respond to the changing information needs of patrons.
- Uses assessment data to inform the development of new services as new needs arise, following trends in scholarly communication and e-science.
- Maintains broad knowledge of scholarly communication and e-science trends and skills, including the publishing life cycle, minting identifiers, publishing solutions, impact metrics, and journal evaluation for faculty publications.
- Collaborate with library colleagues on developing and offering research services.
Education Services (10%)
- Works in a team-based environment to plan, design, and teach in all phases of the formal comprehensive bibliographic instruction program in classroom or informal settings and for all levels of LSUHSC community members.
- Provides, as needed, in-house training of the library staff in the fundamentals of online retrieval methods and computer applications.
- Develop library tutorials, resource guides, and other content aids
Required Knowledge Skills, & Abilities
- Effectively presents ideas in multiple formats to individuals or groups, formally or informally
- Understands documents and applies the information to work situations; Conveys ideas and facts concisely and accurately in writing; uses language the intended audience understands.
- Familiarity with print and electronic resources and the ability to provide training in the use of research materials Practices excellent management, team building, leadership, and delegation skills
- Ability to comply with LSUHSC-NO promotion requirements such as academic engagement, service to the University and the profession, and teaching
- Ability to deliver and prioritize excellent customer service
- Sensitivity to working in a diverse work environment
- Works harmoniously with others to get results. Responds positively to instructions and procedures. Shares information with everyone on a project.
- Provides effective teaching instruction, using research-based learning techniques.
- Maintains current knowledge of library technology and trends.
- Aptitude for learning and investigating new technologies that support the goals of the Library and the learning and research endeavors of the University.
MLS from ALA-Accredited institution
Three years of relevant experience, including 1 year either supervisory or training experience.
BA in health sciences related area, AHIP
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to search major health sciences databases (CINAHL, MEDLINE/PubMed, Embase) and make use of platform-specific tools.
- Knowledge of Evidence-Based Practice, EBP resources, and the research life cycle
- Knowledge of the systematic review process
- Knowledge of research data management
- Ability to identify the need, create, and update LibGuides on relevant topics.
- Knowledge of basic copyright law
- Familiarity with print and electronic resources and the ability to provide training in the use of research materials
- Ability to function both as a team member and a team leader