Job Opportunity (re-post): Senior Librarian, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
Come join a small and highly skilled team of Health Sciences Information Professionals at the Scott Memorial Library! We are looking for an experienced Librarian to provide reference, search services and teaching to our students, faculty and clinicians. Requires considerable knowledge of medical databases and resources with the ability to conduct systematic reviews. Must be able to collaborate with other librarians and professionals in our Center for Teaching and Learning. Experience working with faculty to develop course content and information literacy essential.
The Senior Librarian, Information Services Department, performs at an advanced level in all areas of medical information delivery: consulting with users, delivering database searching services, and participating on project teams. The Senior Librarian will participate in the development of new programs, and information services, in support of the Jefferson mission.
- Provide core reference services to library users via phone, email, online chat or in-person. These services include assisting users on the effective use of knowledge-based information resources and bibliographic management software.
- Develop and maintain specialized knowledge of the library’s databases, search interfaces and other online resources in order to consult with campus users to match resources with information needs, assist with search strategy development and describe management options for citation download and output. Assist with oversight of LibGuides.
- Provide in-depth consulting services to faculty, researchers and clinical care providers on the effective use of information resources and bibliographic management software.
- Teach library, information literacy or other specialized classes in the university and clinical setting. Participate in conducting new student and human resources orientation sessions.
- Interacts with co-workers, visitors, and other staff consistent with the values of Jefferson.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND COMPETENCIES needed in addition to essential functions:
- Develop and maintain the Grants Information Service to provide training to Jeffersonians seeking to identify funding opportunities.
- Develop and maintain specialized knowledge of emerging health sciences librarianship such as evidence-based practice, open access publishing, NIH Public Access Policy, and social networking. Co-manage Library’s social media presence.
- Investigate new technologies and works with others to develop and revise hardware, software and bibliographic tools to respond to the changing information-seeking needs of Jefferson users.
- Perform mediated database searches using a variety of bibliographic vendors. Participate in the library’s systematic review service.
- Collaborate with department members to formulate and to meet goals and objectives for the Information Services department, Scott Memorial Library and the Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Participate in a variety of professional activities, such as active participation in professional organizations and publishing.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Master of Science/Information Science, ALA-Accredited MLS
Two-three years of professional library experience in a healthcare setting strongly preferred. Knowledge of medical and health literature databases required. Experience with advanced literature searching techniques and systematic reviews essential.
- Log onto our website.
- Select the Search Jobs tab (Yellow Box).
- Click “Search Jobs Now” button on the bottom of the page.
- This will take you to our career website. You will need to register a username and password to begin the application.
- Once you have created an account click on Keyword Search.
- Enter the Job Opening ID 9216483 and click “Search,” this will take you to the job posting to complete and submit your application.
Jefferson Health delivers state-of-the-art healthcare services to patients throughout the Delaware Valley and southern New Jersey. Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) provides more than 7,800 students from nearly 40 states and 40 countries with 21st-century professional education. We have 30,000 employees.
Thomas Jefferson University, nationally recognized for advancing groundbreaking developments in healthcare education and research, recently combined with Philadelphia University, internationally known for architecture, design, engineering, textiles and more. Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) has nine colleges and three schools dedicated to interprofessional and transdisciplinary approaches to learning that offer a vibrant and expandable platform for professional education. Through this unique model, we are preparing our students for current and yet-to-be-imagined careers.
As an employer, the Jefferson Enterprise maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.
Patricia Wynne, MSLIS, BSN, RN
Associate Director, Library Information Services Scott Memorial Library | Center for Teaching & Learning Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University)