Job Posting: Biomedical Library Digital Makerspace Internship, University of Pennsylvania Biomedical Library, Philadelphia, PA
Availability: one year long position currently available
Hours: Flexible: 20 hours per week, within 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday.
Overview: The University of Pennsylvania Biomedical Library seeks an energetic Intern to join our dynamic Digital Makerspace team. The digital makerspace consists of our highly popular 3D printing and poster printing services. Reporting to Head, Digital and Virtual Services, the intern will be mentored in these high-tech areas, and will participate in planning for expansion of our digital makerspace as part of a future Biomedical Library renovation. In addition, the Intern participates as a full member of our Information Services team and receives mentoring by our seasoned team of professional librarians for database searching, research consultations, and instructional services.
The Biomedical Library operates as an integral part of the Penn Libraries system and provides cutting-edge research services and information resources for the University of Pennsylvania Health System; the Perelman School of Medicine, including Biomedical Graduate Studies; the School of Nursing; masters programs, including the interdisciplinary MPH; and the Department of Biology.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Provide support for poster printing and 3D printing operations.
- Provide reference and research services to patrons (faculty, staff and students), in-person, by phone and virtually (e-mail and chat).
- Contribute to the library’s social media accounts
In addition, the Intern will have opportunities to assist our team of professional librarians with projects relating to areas such as:
- Systematic reviews of the literature
- Mobile resources
- Research impact assessments
- New technologies and resources
- Course-integrated instruction and library-sponsored workshops and presentations
- Online tutorials and courseware
- Research guides
- Tell us your ideas for self-defined projects in your area(s) of interest!
- Current graduate student in information science or related field.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Service orientation.
- Tech-savvy. Enthusiasm and aptitude for technology and self-learning.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Affinity for working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Attention to detail.
- Prefer familiarity with CAD, 3D-modeling and graphic design software.
- Humor is a plus!!!!
To apply, please submit a resume and letter of interest to the attention of:
Please write “Biomedical Digital Makerspace Internship” in the subject line.
The University of Pennsylvania values diversity and is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.