Position: College of Allied Health Liaison Librarian
Position number: 77008
Summary of Duties
Laupus Library, East Carolina University (ECU) seeks an enthusiastic, service-oriented individual for the position of College of Allied Health Liaison Librarian. This librarian is a member of the Information Services Department and supports the ECU College of Allied Health Sciences (CAHS) by working with students and teaching faculty to provide reference assistance and access to information to support learning. Other duties of this position include providing evidence based literature searches, instruction and assistance on information resources and databases both onsite and via the web, consultations with research faculty to provide professional literature searching, partnering with teaching faculty to provide library and information literacy instruction classes or other learning objects for students, and working scheduled shifts at the reference desk including some Saturdays. This librarian is expected to be active in professional library organizations and to maintain membership eligibility for the Medical Library Association Academy of Health Information Professionals. This librarian reports to the Assistant Director for User Services.
- Serve as a library liaison to students and faculty in CAHS by providing targeted reference and information seeking support
- Routinely interact and communicate with students and faculty to assess information needs in support of curriculum and research, and respond with appropriate library services or resources
- Teach library and information skills programs and assist in design and development of instruction, including evaluation of instruction
- Provide reference assistance in regular shifts within Laupus Library
- Participate in evaluating and advocating for new resources and/or services on behalf of CAHS
- Serve on committees and projects with other Laupus Library colleagues
- Represent Laupus Library at meetings and similar work related events; maintains professional demeanor, behavior and ethics
- Participate in scholarly activities and professional service
- Participate in professional development classes or other activities regularly
- Performs other similar and related duties as assigned
ALA-accredited master’s degree or international equivalent in library or information science. Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills; Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and users.
Previous experience working in an Academic Health Sciences Library or related coursework; experience working with the public or consulting with people to provide services and/or resources; Knowledge of and interest in current library related technologies and their applications; experience or knowledge of medical terminology or current biomedical trends
Terms of Appointment
Initial appointment is a one (1) year fixed-term contract; subsequent renewal may be fixed-term or tenure track depending upon successful completion of the initial first year contract. The minimum salary is $45,000. ECU offers an excellent benefits package.
Screening of applications will begin November 1, 2012 and continue until the position is filled. All applicants must apply online through ECU’s employment website. ecu.peopleadmin.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=70229
Letter of application; resume/curriculum vitae; names and addresses, postal and email, of three current references must be attached to the application electronically. Copies of transcripts and additional materials may be sent by mail to:
Instructional Design Librarian Search Committee
c/o Colie Cashwell
Health Sciences Building
600 Moye Blvd.
Greenville, NC 27834
Official transcripts for required degrees must be received prior to any offer of employment. Applicants must comply with the Immigration Reform and Control Act. East Carolina University is an EO/AA university and accommodates individuals with disabilities.
Finalists selected for onsite interview will be asked to prepare a presentation based upon their professional portfolio of relevant work.