Job Posting-Dental Library Instruction & Communication Specialist, Kansas City, MO
Dental Library Instruction and Communication Specialist
University of Missouri – Kansas City – Hospital Hill Campus
The UMKC Dental Library Specialist will contribute to new modes of information literacy instruction and library outreach/communications. Working with the Dental Library team of librarians and paraprofessionals, the Specialist will also share in providing general Public Service duties and supervise two paraprofessional staff members. This position reports to the Dental Librarian.
Information Literacy Instruction
* Participate in a team of librarians and instructional designers to create digital learning objects and assessment tools that are pedagogically sound, that offer information literacy instruction, integrate library resources and services into the Dental curriculum, and support the training needs of faculty and researchers.
* Implement online information literacy tools into the Dental curriculum.
* Using assessment data, analyze the use and effect of library instruction efforts in order to improve and better adapt them to face-to-face and online courses.
* Promote library resources and services through digital or physical displays, library programming, web page content, etc.
* Work to discover and develop new means of communication with the School of Dentistry Community.
* Supervise, hire, train, evaluate, and support the staff development of two FTE paraprofessional staff members: Library Information Specialists II.
* Trains and evaluates Library Information Specialist II as needed.
* Reviews and submits Library Information Specialist II time sheets on time.
* Staff the Main Service Desk, on rotation with other staff members, to provide Reference and Circulation services and assist with library computers and printers.
* Attend and participate in department, division, and all-staff meetings.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Keep supervisor fully informed of activities and challenges.
* Library experience, preferably in an Academic or Health Sciences Library
* Knowledge of the principles and practices of developing, delivering, and assessing user instruction and information literacy.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Ability to supervise the work of others.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated commitment to public service.
* Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team in a collegial environment.
* Problem-solving skills and ability to exercise sound judgment in dealing with a variety of issues.
* Ability to assume responsibility and accomplish goals with little supervision.
* Ability to work effectively with a highly diverse group of faculty, staff, students, coworkers in a courteous and professional manner.
* Maintain an established work schedule.
* Work positively and productively in a changing environment, providing a supportive work environment for colleagues, and a positive role model demonstrating professionalism and a strong public services commitment.
* MLS from an ALA accredited institution
* Familiarity with Health Sciences resources.
* Experience developing learning modules or instructional materials for online presentation.
* Experience in web editing, with any common web editor software.
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with education/experience. Excellent retirement/benefits package.
To Apply: Application materials must be submitted online at http://info.umkc.edu/hr/careers/academic-positions/. Applicants must combine all application materials (personal letter of interest with accompanying curriculum vitae and a list of references) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as resume attachment. Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
For questions about how applicants apply, please call (816) 235-1621, or if you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.
Address cover letter to: Marie Thompson, Dental Librarian, Chair of Search Committee. (For inquiries, please contact 816-235-1531 or email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
Application review begins March 15, 2016
UMKC is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer