Job Posting: Director of the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, Virginia
The University of Virginia School of Medicine and UVA Health invites nominations and applications for the Director of the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library. The Library Director oversees all operations and strategic direction of the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library (CMHSL). CMHSL supports the research, education, patient care, and community outreach missions of UVA Health. This includes the 16,000 + faculty, students and staff of the School of Medicine, the School of Nursing and the clinical operations of the Medical Center. The Library also serves as the primary resource for biomedical information for the University of Virginia.
CMHSL has a tradition of innovative services that are focused on the evolving information needs of a top academic medical center. Its education support efforts are well integrated into school curriculums. In addition, its innovative research data support service is recognized as a leader in the field. The Library enjoys strong collaborative relationships with other University entities including the University Libraries, the integrated Translational Health Research Institute of Virginia (iTHRIV), and data services organizations throughout the University.
The Library licenses over 5,687 journal titles in the basic and clinical sciences and provides access to over 78,000 electronic and print books. Through the University Libraries, UVA Health affiliates have access to 1 million ebooks, 285,000 journals and 700 databases. CMHSL has a staff of 25 including 14 professional positions.
About UVA Health and Charlottesville VA:
UVA Health is an academic health system that strives to provide excellence, innovation, and exceptional quality in the care of patients, the training of health professionals, and the creation and sharing of knowledge within a culture that promotes equity, diversity, and inclusivity. UVA Health is an expansive network comprised of the UVA Medical Center, UVA Community Health, UVA Transitional Care Hospital, University of Virginia Physician’s Group, UVA School of Medicine, UVA School of Nursing, CMHSL, and several other strategic partnerships and alliances. For more information on UVA Health, visit www.UVAHealth.com
UVA Health is located in Charlottesville, VA. Charlottesville is located in central Virginia, just east of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and 100 miles south of Washington, D.C., Charlottesville offers stunning natural beauty, a thriving art, music, and food culture, and an ever-growing list of things to do. For information on Charlottesville region, visit www.visitcharlottesville.org
- Oversees the operations of the CMHSL.
- Develops and implements a strategic vision for the Library that positions it as a national leader in health science information services.
- Positions the Library to be a vital part of UVA Health’s clinical care, research, education, and community missions through creative and user-focused methods.
- Works with University research leaders to integrate Library expertise and systems seamlessly into the research enterprise.
- Stewards the Library’s human and fiscal resources to ensure efficiency, quality, and valued outcomes.
- Serve as a member of the UVA Health senior leadership team.
- Promotes and supports a positive work environment with transparent management practices and communication.
- Consistently analyzes current library services and develops gap analysis and solutions.
- Oversees the development and support of health care related data training and support targeted to real world data needs of students, faculty and staff.
- Works collaboratively with University Libraries to develop and maintain sustainable access to resources required to support high level research, education and patient care.
- Manages and develops Library physical space to meet the evolving needs for teaching, collaboration and study.
- Collaborates with UVA Health and other University groups to support excellent health care to the community with a special attention to the underserved and those at risk.
- Stewards the historical archive of record for UVA Health so that the history of the institution is captured and preserved for future scholarship and research.
- Other duties as assigned.
- MLIS/MLS degree from an ALA accredited program.
- 5 years managerial experience in an academic library.
- Evidence of successful budget management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of academic library systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of contemporary academic library systems, practices, trends and emerging technologies.
- A commitment to the liberal arts model of higher education.
- Evidence of increased management responsibility in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Demonstrated ability to advocate for and collaborate with library staff.
- Demonstrated record of developing student-centered library programs, services and spaces.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in generating and analyzing data from multiple systems.
- Enthusiasm for technological innovation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong public service orientation.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
The Claude Moore Health Sciences Library has made a commitment to promote diversity and inclusivity among our employees, collections, and services. We therefore seek candidates whose research, teaching, volunteer work, and/or service demonstrate their successful efforts and proven commitment to the principles of social justice, whose work has prepared them to champion our efforts, and who will lead us in fulfilling our commitment to creating a more just, inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible environment for our employees and those whom we serve.
Priority review of applications will begin on January 13, 2022, but the position will remain open until filled.
Please apply through Workday at the following URL, https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs , and search for requisition # R0031554. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile and search “Find Jobs,” and search for requisition # R0031554. Complete an application online and attach the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Statement addressing efforts and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Professional reference list
The successful candidate will pass a criminal background check and pre-employment health screening. Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box. Applications that do not contain all required documents will not receive full consideration.
For questions regarding the application process, please contact Michelle Williams, Senior Recruiter/Faculty Search Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID Vaccination Requirement
Please visit https://hr.virginia.edu/uva-covid-19-job-requirements prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements for employment at UVA.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person’s perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.