Job Posting: Head of Research, Education and Outreach Services; Health Sciences Libraries; Temple University
The Temple University Health Sciences Libraries seek a dynamic, service and team-oriented professional to head its research, education and outreach services department. Headquartered at the Simmy and Harry Ginsburg Library, the Libraries serve the information needs of the schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Podiatry, the College of Public Health, and Temple University Hospital. For more information about Temple, visit: http://www.temple.edu/about/.
Reporting to the Director of Health Sciences Libraries, the Head of Research, Education & Outreach Services leads a team of 4 full-time and 2 part-time librarians in providing research, instruction and liaison outreach programs. The Head of Research, Education & Outreach Services provides strategic direction and vision for the department, its staff and services. S/he promotes the exploration and implementation of new approaches to research services, departmental liaison engagement, marketing & outreach, research consultation services, and the information literacy skills programs. Participates on the library’s administrative team and assists in policy and program development. Performs related duties as assigned.
- Oversees the development of innovative user-centered research & instruction services that support the health center’s mission of research, education and patient care.
- Trains, supervises and evaluates the research & education librarian staff to ensure a high level of service to library clientele. Coordinates or provides opportunities for staff development and continuing education.
- Participates in program and policy development, budget planning and review and long-range planning for the Libraries.
- Works actively with primary clientele at the health sciences center to explore and propose collaborative projects, options for new library services, and opportunities for integration of the libraries in relevant academic departments.
- Explores and promotes the use of, and integration of library services in, online teaching & learning tools.
- Coordinates with liaison librarians the review, selection and purchase of resources and materials in support of Temple’s health sciences programs.
- Serves as liaison to one of the health center’s schools/departments.
- Represents the Library on appropriate committees, including library system and university-wide committees.
- Represents the Health Sciences Libraries and Temple University at local, regional and national professional meetings.
- Compiles and reports statistics of department activities.
- Creates relevant and actionable assessment tools to evaluate faculty and student needs, effectiveness of instruction and outreach efforts.
- Maintains current knowledge and skills related to research, teaching, outreach and technology.
Competitive salary and benefits package, including relocation allowance.
Required Education and Experience:
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library/information science and 5 years relevant experience in an academic health sciences library;
- Minimum of two years supervising professional staff.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated proficiency with technology and applications used for online collaboration and communication (such as Webex, Skype, or Google Hangouts
- Experience with one or more learning management systems used in higher education such as Blackboard.
- Knowledge of copyright and other intellectual property principles as they relate to online instruction.
- A strong understanding of biomedical research, clinical practice, and health sciences education in an academic medical center environment.
- Demonstrated active engagement with relevant professional organizations, i.e. the Medical Library Association (national, chapter or section) or the Special Libraries Association (national, chapter or division).
- Experience with social media & digital reference services.
- Excellent speaking, writing, information literacy instruction, and interpersonal skills.
To apply for this position, please visit http://www.temple.edu, click on Careers@Temple and reference TU-19699.
Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to cultural diversity.