Job Posting: Librarian, Department of Veterans Affairs, Madison, WI
Department:Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency:Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Job Announcement Number:VM-13-TJE-909432
|$57,408.00 to $74,628.00 / Per Year|
|Tuesday, June 25, 2013 to Monday, July 01, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Part Time 30 hours – Permanent|
|1 vacancy in the following location:
Madison, WI United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens|
Vacancy ID: 909432
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln’s promise – “To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan” – by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people – our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country’s service. If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans.
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define “who we are,” our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence (“I CARE”).
NOTE: This is a part-time position (30 hours/week). The salary listed represents full-time employment and will be pro-rated based on the actual number of hours worked each pay-period. Likewise, benefits and time-off accrual will also be prorated and based on your part-time work schedule.
This position is within the Library Service located at the William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital in Madison, WI. The Librarian performs professional and technical tasks and has an understanding of medical terminology and the ability to apply standard library tools, methods, and procedures to effect good library service. The Librarian has overall responsibility for conducting and performing administrative management duties for the Medical Library and provides customer centered service and works directly with facility staff in support of patient care, patient education, staff education, research and technical services. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides prompt and courteous response to patrons’ requests, either in person, by electronic mail, or telephone;
- Formulates and performs reference services using basic reference materials and computer bibliographic searches;
- Assists borrowers in the location of materials, check out procedures, and use of library equipment;
- Instructs and assists patrons in the use of reference works, indexes, abstracts, and electronic databases and in the operation of automated equipment, audiovisual and microfilm viewing and printing equipment;
- Provides specialized audiovisual and library related services;
- Troubleshoots equipment problems and ensures that it is maintained and repaired;
- Addresses groups throughout the Medical Center to inform employees about services of the Libraries;
- Processes and catalogs books and audio-visuals;
- Maintains online card catalog;
- Utilizes the VA credit card program to order library materials (i.e. books, journals, pamphlets, supplies, audiovisuals, etc.);
- Purchase cardholder and complies with all the acquisition regulations;
- Performs check-in and claiming operation of the serials and periodicals in the library’s on-line serials module;
- Maintains library’s holding information for serials and periodicals, and edits bibliographic records in the library’s module;
- Maintains the circulation files for all books, journals, and audiovisuals on a daily basis for statistical data;
- Prepares overdue notices and bills of collection;
- Verifies the accuracy of citations of patron’s interlibrary loan requests;
- Interfaces with local, academic, and other national interlibrary loan networks;
- Conducts the annual inventory;
- Collects data and prepares the quarterly, monthly, and annual reports;
- Serves as manager; trains, supervises, and assigns duties to volunteers; and,
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Part-Time, Monday through Friday, Hours can be anywhere between 8:00am – 4:30pm
***RELOCATION EXPENSES AND/OR INCENTIVES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED***
For more information and to apply online, please visit https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/346163000