Job Posting: Librarian, SAIC, Groton, CT
Location: Groton, CT, US
SAIC is currently looking for a Part-time Librarian to supervise the operations of the library information center at the Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory (NSMRL). NSMRL conducts research and investigates the effects of medical, psychological, and performance issues associated with the health and performance of naval personnel in operational and non-operational settings. The ideal candidate shall provide information services including research, planning, scheduling and supervising the operations of the library information center; create and maintain a database for the library information management system; and design, manage, and maintain internal and external websites.
The primary duties of the position are as follows:
- Serves as the sole Librarian and primary interface with internal customers for all resource requests, research methodology, and research alerts for novel studies conducted in the field of submarine health.
- Serves as the sole Librarian and primary interface for external customers within the Military Medicine community to coordinate research requests, recommend research methodologies and provide a link between NSMRL researchers and those at other Military Medicine institutions.
- Acts with little direction to supervise library operations which include current library systems and policies and procedures; recommends and develops new policy or procedural changes.
- Independently research projects; find and recommend resources currently and not currently available in a timely manner.
- Recommends and purchases new materials, tools and products as needed.
- Trains and mentors library users by providing tools, instruction, and expertise to perform research and find library materials
- Creates and maintain a database for library information management systems; acquire services, materials and subscriptions from vendors.
• Masters degree in Library Sciences or closely related degree and 2+ years of relevant experience is preferred; May consider BS level candidate with 2-4+ years experience.
• Due to Federal contract requirements, US citizenship is required.
• The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
• Experience in a military scientific research environment or with Navy Medicine terminology and/or resources is preferred.
SAIC is a FORTUNE 500® scientific, engineering, and technology applications company that uses its deep domain knowledge to solve problems of vital importance to the nation and the world, in national security, energy and the environment, critical infrastructure, and health. The company’s approximately 41,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and selected commercial markets. Headquartered in McLean, Va., SAIC had annual revenues of $11.1 billion for its fiscal year ended January 31, 2011. For more information, visit http://www.saic.com. SAIC: From Science to
Primary Location: United States-CT-GROTON
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Secret
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job