Job posting: Library Director, Norfolk, VA
The director will provide visionary leadership to the BMSL to advance an inventive and forward-looking learning environment to serve as a responsive resource for faculty, students, residents and staff. The director has administrative responsibility for coordinating the library’s programming initiatives, providing leadership to facilitate a shared vision of the library in support of the institution’s strategic initiatives. The director is also responsible for administration of the library including budget oversight and supervision of an established team of creative librarians and support staff.
- Ensures library services and resources are optimal to support the educational, research, healthcare and service missions of its member institutions
- Provides professional expertise, administrative leadership and overall direction for the library, including strategic, financial and space planning
- Cultivates relationships with the primary communities served, as well as the larger academic community, alumni, community members, business agencies, and other academic health sciences libraries to promote responsive services and create new initiatives in support of teaching, learning, research and patient care.
- Leads library staff in developing strategic initiatives and implementing collaborative policies and programs
- Actively collaborates with stakeholders to identify opportunities, programs and resources to maintain state-of-the-art services to library users, identifying innovative technologies and solutions to address changing needs
- Provides primary administrative leadership for all operational areas of the library including allocation of financial resources and personnel
- Provides direct supervision to unit heads
- Provides guidance and mentorship in scholarship for library staff
- Promotes a positive work environment through transparent management practices and clear communication
- Exemplifies openness to ideas and integrates contributions with an inclusive approach to creative problem-solving
- Represents the library locally, regionally and nationally
- Leads production of reports required for external accreditation
MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
Supervision of all library staff
Students, vendors, faculty, staff, administrators, and public.
Plan and manage all financial aspects of the library
MLS degree from an ALA-accredited program or international equivalent. Seven years progressive experience in a managerial or administrative role in a health sciences library in an academic environment. Extensive experience with budget development and management.
A second master’s degree in an applicable subject area is preferred.
AHIP certification or other demonstrated commitment to continuing professional development is preferred
Location : Location