Job Posting: Reference Librarian, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
- General Summary of Position Responsibility:
Responsible for the provision of various reference and library services, and consumer health related requests for the Lurie Children’s medical, nursing and allied health staff and medical students. The position actively supports Nursing Research, Evidence-based medicine for clinicians, IRB review, and decision-support at the point of care.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Responds to reference queries using print and electronic sources; within 24 –48 hours whenever possible.
2. Provides individual bibliographic instruction in use of library resources, including: print, electronic databases, Web resources, and library catalog.
3. Catalogs book acquisitions using MESH headings, OCLC and AACR2.rules, and National Library of Medicine classification system and enters them into the Northwestern University catalog and into OCLC-Worldcat.
4. Enters all journal records and holdings into the Northwestern University catalog and the National Library of Medicine’s Serhold database. Collaborates with Ebsco, Northwestern University and journal publishers to provide links to journal holdings.
5. Conducts group classes and individual and departmental training sessions in use of library databases (Ovid Medline, CINAHL, etc.), , MD Consult and pertinent web sites for searching. Offers classes in EndNote, and other areas as needed.
6. Acts as liaison with Galter Health Sciences Library in use of Voyage integrated library automation system and NUcat online catalog. Responds to questions regarding use of Ovid Medline and accessing resources online.
7. Oversees interlibrary loan procedures and practices with the goal of streamlining the delivery and referral of needed articles and books in the most efficient, timely and proficient manner.
8. Manages oversight of Voyager modules as used in the Health Sciences Library.
9. Leads and initiates library services for evidence based care and decision support for nurses and clinicians.
10. Provides leadership for introducing the latest technology trends in library services for the delivery of health care.
11. Monitors reference, reserve, and circulating collections for currency and coverage.
12. Evaluates purchasing needs for online journal subscriptions, and orders books through medical book jobbers, Northwestern University and publishers. Collaborates with Northwestern University to take advantage of multi-site licenses for online books and journals.
13. Stays abreast of library and information management trends through attendance at conferences and seminars.
14. Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. MLS from an American Library Association-accredited program.
2. Minimum of 3 years of health sciences library experience in a health sciences setting preferred.
3. Demonstrated experience searching biomedical electronic databases; knowledge of cataloging practices (OCLC, AACR2, NLM subject headings and MESH terms) required.
4. Strong knowledge of library information and automation systems required.
5. Demonstrated experience working with vendors, publishers, and subscription agents.
6. Strong attention to detail. Ability to work autonomously and prioritize competing demands.
7. Prior experience negotiating and reviewing license agreements.
8. Evidence of collaborative troubleshooting and creative problem solving.
9. Strong written and oral communication skills. Strong customer service skills.
10. Advanced knowledge of MS Office applications and computer applications.
- Job Location
- Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Position Type