Job Posting: Reference/Instruction Librarian, Library of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Connecticut
Job Announcement Number:14-1715-NE-DG-D
|SALARY RANGE:||$52,818.00 to $68,660.00 / Per Year|
|OPEN PERIOD:||Monday, August 18, 2014 to Monday, September 8, 2014|
|SERIES & GRADE:||GS-1410-09|
|POSITION INFORMATION:||This is a full-time position.
– This is a permanent appointment.
|DUTY LOCATIONS:||1 vacancy – New London, CT View Map|
|WHO MAY APPLY:||This vacancy is open to all U.S. Citizens and is being advertised under delegated examining procedures.
For definitions of terms found in this announcement click here
|SECURITY CLEARANCE:||Q – Nonsensitive|
This position is located in the Library of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Connecticut, a four year, accredited, degree granting institution and center of leadership development for the Coast Guard. The incumbent is responsible for delivering quality reference and instruction services required to support the education and training outcomes of the Academy, including Leadership Development Center personnel. The incumbent may be the primary contact for reference questions/research consultation on the weekend and at night during the semester. The incumbent is expected to advise the Head of the Reference and Instruction section on issues and new developments in the areas of reference and instruction services as provided in an undergraduate institution.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Acts as a provider of reference services for nights and weekends. Extensively participates in the instruction program. Participates in other teams to ensure adequate service in these areas.
2) Provides comprehensive reference, research, advisory, evaluative and instructional services at night and on weekends. The incumbent may be the primary contact with library clientele for reference service at these times.
3) Authors electronic research guides, electronic tutorials, electronic workbooks and other aids, both print and electronic as required by the Head of Reference and Instruction or the Director.
4) Recommends materials for the collection based on needs of clientele as discovered through reference work and the writing of research guides.
5) Trains and supervises staff assigned to the reference and instruction section, including students. Acts as the team leader for the weekend and night staff and is responsible for training the night circulation technician to handle simple reference questions.
6) Prepares administrative reports, maintains statistics and provides other administrative assistance to the Head of the Reference and Instruction as required.
7) Assists the Head of Reference and Instruction in establishing reference, bibliographic instruction policy and procedures
8) Keeps the Head of Reference and instruction informed of all projects, current and pending, and requests assistance in prioritizing work as needed or requested by the Head of Reference and Instruction Services or the Director.
9) Provides instruction in research techniques to all faculty, staff and students at the Academy and LDC, as one of the Academic Division’s proponents for Information Literacy. Provides instruction to faculty in the value and utilization of information retrieval and evaluation skills in the life-long learning process and provides instruction to them in the best ways of integrating this outcome into their course work.
10) Serves on Library and Academy committees as appropriate.
11) Participates actively on any assigned teams performing tasks as requested. Assignments may include professional or clerical work tasks.
12) Maintains a level of competence in the profession in such areas as information literacy, usability testing, e-metrics, knowledge management and online teaching and learning. This is expected as a member of the professional staff.
13) Performs other duties as requested by the Director or the Head of Reference and Instruction.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- This position requires a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI).
- Requires night and weekend work.
This is a federal civil service position with a salary range at the GS-9 level ($52,818 to $68,660). The federal government provides an excellent benefits package. For a complete vacancy announcement and to apply for the position, please visit https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/378680500 or https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/378680900 for status candidates. Applications must be submitted through USAJOBS.gov by September 8, 2014. The U. S. Coast Guard is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.