At Boston Children’s Hospital, success is measured in patients treated, parents comforted and teams taught. It’s in discoveries made, processes perfected, and technology advanced. In major medical breakthroughs and small acts of kindness and in colleagues who have your back and patients who have your heart. As a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, our reach is global and our impact is profound. Join our Library Services team and discover how your talents can change lives. Yours included.
The manager of library services is responsible for the overall management and direction of the library and archives. Primary responsibilities include supervision, reference, collection development, teaching and support for systematic reviews. The manager is responsible for library-wide planning, policy making and evaluation of services and resources appropriate for the institution. The manager reports to the Senior Director of Business Intelligence and the Clinical Health Record.
- All administrative tasks related to the library.
- Managing multiple library budgets.
- Supervising two full time librarians, one full time archivist, and one part-time archivist.
- Performing in-depth literature searches and/or systematic reviews.
- Participating in clinical bedside rounding program.
- Teaching PubMed, CINAHL, EndNote and Mendeley classes.
- Presenting information sessions and workshops at hospital grand rounds, in-service programs, and other department meetings.
- Providing document delivery.
- Overseeing electronic resources management, copyright and licensing management, collection development, technical services, and website maintenance.
- Working with vendors, maintains contracts and licenses.
- Publicizing and market library services on a regular basis.
To qualify, you must have:
- ALA accredited MLS or its equivalent in the biomedical/clinical and public health sectors with at least 3-4 years’ relevant experience in a library.
- Evidence of experience teaching the use of health sciences resources.
- Experience searching PubMed, Web of Science, EMBASE, CINAHL and the Cochrane Library.
- Excellent presentation, instruction, and communication skills.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with a diverse population of faculty/staff, students, and colleagues.
- Familiarity with bibliographic management software (EndNote/Mendeley).
- Experience supporting systematic reviews.
- Demonstrate a strong background in the use of information technologies, information management tools, and analytical and searching skills.
- Knowledge of the NIH Public Access Mandate.
- Understanding of various aspects of scholarly publishing including open access, licensing, copyright issues, institutional repositories and Altmetrics.
- Experience implementing knowledge management projects.
- Understanding of the principles and process for evaluating a journal article/EBM.
- Experience marketing the library/library services.
Boston Children’s Hospital offers competitive compensation and unmatched benefits, including affordable health, vision and dental insurance, generous levels of time off, 403(b) Retirement Savings plan, Pension, Tuition Reimbursement, cell phone plan discounts and discounted rates on T-passes (50% off). Discover your best.
Boston Children’s Hospital is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.