Medical Librarian at Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
At Boston Children’s Hospital, success is measured in patients treated, parents comforted and teams taught. It’s in discoveries made, processes perfected, and technology advanced. In major medical breakthroughs and small acts of kindness and in colleagues who have your back and patients who have your heart. As a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, our reach is global and our impact is profound. Join our acclaimed Medical Library and discover how your talents can change lives. Yours included.
Under the supervision of the Manager of Library Services, the Medical Librarian delivers innovative and user-focused knowledge services to all hospital staff in support of clinical, educational, and research goals.
This role encompasses a diverse set of tasks, with a particular emphasis on electronic resource management.
This Medical Librarian will be responsible for:
- Maintaining access to all digital library resources including databases, e-books, e-journals, full-text article links, and other e-resources.
- Participating in digital and print collection development.
- Developing and executing plans to incorporate technology to improve operational management.
- Collecting usage data of the library’s electronic resources.
- Developing and maintaining LibGuides.
- Updating and developing content for the library’s website, blog and Twitter sites.
- Performing cataloging activities and projects related to both print and e-resources.
- Participating in library reference services including in-person, telephone, chat, and email.
- Attending patient centered clinical teaching rounds and providing evidence based information to clinical team.
- Providing individual and group instruction on using medical and health sciences resources.
- Conducting literature searches using PubMed, CINAHL and other online resources.
To qualify, you must have:
- Master’s degree in library or information science from an ALA accredited school.
- Experience managing access to electronic resources.
- Health sciences library experience is preferred. Both experienced professionals and recent MLS graduates with library experience are encouraged to apply.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong formal and informal presentation skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to interact tactfully and knowledgeably with a diverse group of medical professionals and hospital administration.
- A desire to work in a fast paced, highly demanding and dynamic environment.
Boston Children’s Hospital offers competitive compensation and unmatched benefits, including affordable health, vision and dental insurance, generous levels of time off, 403(b) Retirement Savings plan, Pension, Tuition Reimbursement and discounted rates on T-passes (50% off). Discover your best.
Boston Children’s Hospital is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.