NEXT MONTH – For Everyone: A 21st Century Academic Library Webinar on December 11th
Good afternoon, everyone!
Before you take off for the holidays, be sure to mark your calendars for our next SCR CONNECTions webinar on December 11th at 8am PT / 9am MT / 10am CT / 11am ET.
We’re very excited to have Jon Cawthorne, Dean of the Wayne State University Library System and the University’s School of Information Sciences. He’ll be talking about organizational change along with his work at both Wayne State as well as the ACRL Diversity Alliance Program (formerly Library Diversity Alliance). Full details below!
For Everyone: A 21st Century Academic Library Guest Speaker: Jon Cawthorne, Dean of the Wayne State University Library System and the University’s School of Information Sciences
Date: Wednesday, December 11th, 2019
Time: 8:00am – 9:00am PT / 9:00am – 10:00am MT / 10:00am – 11:00am CT / 11:00am – 12:00pm ET
Description: Organizational change in libraries requires addressing confounding factors such as unwritten rules, traditions, and assumptions that underlie the “iceberg” of culture and potentially hinder progress. Hear about the values that help drive excellence at Wayne State University Libraries. Participants will learn from institutional examples at Wayne State as well as lessons from the highly successful Library Diversity Alliance (now the ACRL Diversity Alliance Program).
Speaker Information: Jon E. Cawthorne, Ph.D. is dean of the Wayne State University Library System and the University’s School of Information Sciences. He began his library leadership career in Detroit, as director of the Detroit Public Library’s flagship branch, where he was later named interim deputy director to lead the entire 24-branch system through an organizational transition.
Before joining Wayne State University, Cawthorne was privileged to lead West Virginia University Libraries as dean. There, he established the WVU Digital Publishing Institute, to advance open-access scholarship through new digital pathways for academic publication and dissemination of knowledge. He has also held leadership positions at Florida State University, Boston College, and San Diego State University.
Cawthorne currently chairs the ACRL Diversity Alliance program, which unites 36 academic libraries that share a commitment to growing the hiring pipeline of qualified, talented individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups. He holds a M.L.S. degree from the University of Maryland, and a Ph.D. in managerial leadership in the information professions from Simmons College.
This webinar will be eligible for one hour of Medical Library Association (MLA) Continuing Education credit and will be archived for future viewing.
To Join the Meeting
1. Copy and paste this URL into your browser: https://nih.webex.com/
2. Enter the session number: 623 218 715 and password: webinar
3. Please provide your name and email address.
4. You may have to download and install a web add-on or run a temporary application depending on the browser you use.
5. Select your audio connection preference:
*Call using computer – Adjust settings and test the connection *Call from WebEx – Enter your direct phone number and press 1 when prompted *Call in – Call: 1-650-479-3208 (US/Canada Toll number) Enter access code: 623 218 715 # Enter the Attendee ID on your screen and press #
6. If you are using a mobile device, your access code is: webinar For more information: https://nnlm.gov/scr/training/connections<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Furldefense.proofpoint.com%2Fv2%2Furl%3Fu%3Dhttps-3A__nnlm.gov_scr_training_connections%26d%3DDwMGaQ%26c%3DVjzId-SM5S6aVB_cCGQ0d3uo9UfKByQ3sI6Audoy6dY%26r%3DLmgoKR1PlXBsXkaojA1riBAfWUpu-pNiQEOKSPVFkV4%26m%3DOC2q6JWGEVmLmVpOjDNdj86_6VYO60PzRsXn4dPeTC0%26s%3DPnwEXleNx0ZlZ8cf-KD68fb0XqJs-KkiAXtxZsRUa3M%26e%3D&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Leaf%40unthsc.edu%7C40905d297f4b48da288d08d7639302ef%7C70de199207c6480fa318a1afcba03983%7C0%7C0%7C637087355379310244&sdata=8mxzKQYCKkqUVe%2FfREctlhry%2B%2FqhsD8HZrTwxLIDX8Y%3D&reserved=0>
Brian D. Leaf
Community Engagement Coordinator
NNLM South Central Region
Gibson D. Lewis Health Science Library
University of North Texas Health Science Center
(817) 735-2169 | Brian.Leaf@unthsc.edu