RUSA/ETS Best Emerging Technology Application (BETA) Awards
Have you used technology in an innovative way to enhance your library or patron services? If so, we encourage you to apply for one of two RUSA/ETS Best Emerging Technology Application (BETA) Awards. The awards offer $3,000 each to an individual or group in recognition of a technology application that directly benefits library users. The awards are generously co-sponsored by Chatstaff and LibraryH3lp.
For the 2021-2022 year, two $3,000 awards will be given, one in each of the following categories:
1. Develops an original technology or significantly modifies an existing technology for an entirely novel use that benefits the library and its patrons.
2. Utilizes an existing technology and applies it in a novel way that benefits the library and its patrons.
The award is open to any library employee or group of library employees, provided that the following conditions are met. Neither ALA nor RUSA membership is required. International librarians are eligible. Applicants may only apply for one category.
1. The award application describes an implementation of a technology that has directly impacted a library and its patrons.
2. The implementation took place no more than 2 years prior to the date of the application deadline.
Each written application is evaluated using the following criteria:
1. Creativity of the use of technology to improve library and patron services
2. The impact on the local library and its users
3. The potential impact on other libraries and their users
4. Sustainability of the technological application
Refer to the Award Rubric https://docs.google.com/document/d/10wRPSRXMEIzv29sBW9m_mEo_EFA4KVHvWPxm0d0TuV8/edit?usp=sharing for a more detailed description of the criteria
How to Apply or Nominate someone else
If you would like to apply for the award or nominate someone else’s project, please visit the BETA website at http://bit.ly/RUSABETA. The committee will contact nominees to encourage them to apply.
Submission Deadline: February 11, 2022.
If you have any questions about the award or the application process, please contact the committee’s chair, Beth Caruso, firstname.lastname@example.org. The winner will be notified in mid March.