Cunningham Memorial International Fellowship
* The applicant must have both an undergraduate degree and a master’s level library degree. The latter requirement may be waived. (Transcripts or a copy of your diploma and grades for courses taken at both the undergraduate and graduate levels should be sent at the same time as the application.)
* The applicant must be working or preparing to work in a health science library in his or her own country.
* The applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of a country other than the United States or Canada.
* The applicant is not required to be a member of MLA.
* Past recipients of the Cunningham fellowship are ineligible.
* The completed application with documentation must be received by December 1. Successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified by March.
* Three letters of reference in English are required from responsible persons who are familiar with the applicant’s qualifications. References may include officers of institutions where the applicant has worked, US officers of information, other librarians from the applicant’s country, or persons in North America. These letters of reference should describe the applicant’s professional and interpersonal skills. Letters should include an assessment of the applicant’s sense of curiosity, ability to live alone and function in a foreign setting, and adaptability to traveling in unfamiliar places.
* The applicant must have a signed statement in English from a responsible official of the institution where he or she is working or plans to work, guaranteeing a position in a health sciences library upon his or her return.
* All applicants must submit a single electronic video file, as well as a typed transcript, responding to the questions on the application.
* The applicant must submit a project overview according to the guidelines in part VIII, “Project Goals.”
* The applicant must present a certificate of good physical health, written in English, from a licensed physician.
* The Cunningham Fellowship fund will pay a stipend toward living, travel, and tuition expenses in the United States and Canada. The amount is determined annually. These funds are for the fellow only. No support is provided for spouses or dependents.
* Payment for travel to and from the United States or Canada is the responsibility of the fellow and will not be paid from the fellowship stipend.
* Depending on the qualifications of the candidates, the jury may recommend that the Cunningham fellowship not be awarded in a given year.
* MLA will acknowledge applications upon receipt via email.
To learn more about the fellowship and to apply go to https://www.mlanet.org/page/cu