Job Posting – Reference and Instruction Librarian, Washington, DC
Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library
The George Washington University
Position Description: Reference and Instruction Librarian
The Reference and Instruction Librarian at the Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library is an important member of the Information, Instruction, and Reference team. This position assists in the provision of information and instructional services to students, staff, and faculty of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Milken Institute School of Public Health, and School of Nursing. Other duties include reference and systematic review consultations, distance education student support, and membership on various library committees. This position reports to the Head of Reference and Instruction.
Duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
1. Provides reference and information services to patrons at the
reference desk in the library, and remote reference service points.
2. Performs online database search services and research consultations
as requested, including support for systematic and scoping reviews.
3. Participates in and designs formal and informal instruction and
orientation programs for students, staff, and faculty, as well as community
4. Participates in curricular activities for the three schools served.
5. Serves as an embedded librarian in nursing and public health courses.
Acts as a librarian facilitator for the Practice of Medicine course,
Clinical Integration Sessions, in the medical curriculum.
6. Participates in the departmental Library Liaison program providing
instruction and informational services to various departments (both
academic and clinical).
7. Participates in the provision of educational courses, workshops and
seminars for various patron groups within the library throughout the
8. Contributes to the development and evaluation of web-delivered
courses and instructional materials.
9. Provides support to faculty in creating and maintaining courses in
Blackboard, as well as other educational technologies that facilitate
online and distance education.
10. Creates research guides to support student and faculty educational
and research activities.
11. Investigates new technologies and software to support faculty
education and research.
12. Contributes to library marketing and communication activities.
13. Participates in orientation and training activities for new
14. Participates in collection development activities for the reference
collection and liaison departments.
15. Assists in management of student listservs and library e-mail
16. Other duties as assigned.
Requirements: MLS from an ALA-accredited school. Experience searching biomedical literature and full-text databases including PubMed. Experience with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Camtasia or equivalent programs. Experience with course management software, and development of online instructional modules or tutorials. Experience teaching information literacy skills and providing reference services OR experience providing educational technology support. Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all levels of library staff and patrons.
Preferred: Minimum of 2-3 years experience teaching information literacy skills and providing reference service or 2-3 years providing educational technology support in a library environment. Knowledge of Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM), EBM resources, and the research life cycle. Experience in providing advanced information services in an academic health sciences library, including assisting with systematic reviews.
To Apply: To be considered, applicants should complete an online application at http://www.gwu.jobs/postings/7
2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be considered. Employment offers are contingent on the satisfactory outcome of a standard background screening.
The George Washington University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.