Digitization Consultant at the New York Academy of Medicine Library, New York City, NY
The New York Academy of Medicine Library is currently looking for a consultant to work on our mass digitization project, Public Health in America, 1911-1968. Collections in the project include the Committee on Public Health of the New York Academy of Medicine: Correspondence, Reports, and Documents, 1911 – 1968, the Library of Social and Economic Aspects of Medicine of Michael M. Davis, 1920-196, and selected publications from the Health Reports Collection. The consultant will provide pre-digitization services for all collections, including creating a new finding aid for the Michael Davis collection, barcoding archival material for tracking, conducting condition assessment, packing and shipping material for digitization, and other tasks as necessary to prepare and send materials to the digitization vendor. The consultant will also provide post-digitization services that include unpacking returned materials and conducting post-digitization condition assessment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Create a finding aid for the Michael Davis collection and work with the Historical Collections Librarian to re-order the archival collection
* Conduct condition assessment of materials pre- and post- digitization
* Barcode and check-out materials from the online catalog
* Organize and pack materials for shipping to the digitization vendor
* Track materials throughout the process
* Experience handling archival material and creating finding aids.
* Excellent communication and organizational skills.
* Knowledge of online library catalog systems and working knowledge of technology, including Excel.
* Ease and proficiency working in digital library settings.
* Ability to lift library materials weighing up to 30 lbs.
Education and Experience:
* A bachelor’s degree
* One to two years of experience in a library setting, including knowledge of technology, and online library catalog systems. A library student working toward the MLS degree is preferred.
Location: New York, NY
To Apply: Please send an e-mail with your qualifications and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Company Information: New York Academy of Medicine, 1216 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10029
Contact Information: Robin Naughton, Head of Digital, e-mail: email@example.com