As part of a partnership with the All of Us Research Program, the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Southeastern/Atlantic Region (NNLM SEA) is pleased to offer up to 15 Professional Development Awards for library staff to attend ALA Midwinter. Library Awardees can apply for up to $1,500 for registration and travel costs.
- Eligibility – Any library in AL, DC, FL, GA, MD, MS, NC, PR, SC, TN, USVI, VA, and WV may apply.
- Awards will be made on a cost-reimbursement basis to the individual attendee’s library. (i.e. a library must pay for an employee to attend and NNLM SEA will reimburse that library after the conference).
- Libraries may choose to use the $1,500 to send more than one person, but NNLM SEA will not reimburse expenses beyond $1,500 to a single organization.
- Libraries must be a member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine. You may search to see if an organization is a member in the Membership directory. If not, membership is free and easy to sign up for. Only one award will be given per library.
- If an individual is not a member of ALA, this award cannot pay for membership. Please budget for the non-member rate.
- In addition to the full conference, each individual using award money must register for and attend the preconference “Implicit Bias, Health Disparities and Health Literacy” – See details below*
- Any individual that receives any funds to attend ALA midwinter will be required to fill out a short evaluation. Awardee institutions will also be asked to contribute to SEA Currents, the NNLM SEA Newsletter about the conference.
- Applications are due October 31, 2018. Decisions will be made on a first come, first served basis. Please note Early Bird Registration for ALA Midwinter is October 24, 2018.
*More about the ALA Midwinter Preconference:
Implicit Bias, Health Disparities and Health Literacy: Intersections in Health Equity – Friday, January 25, 2019, 9:00 AM-Noon – The purpose of this preconference is to raise awareness of implicit bias’s connection to health equity and to deepen understanding of health literacy as a tool to address health equity within vulnerable communities. The format will include presentations, facilitated table conversations, and self-reflection. Participants will explore how libraries can deepen their work in health literacy to ensure a lasting impact for improving the health of their community. Organizers will provide a packet of useful resources to support health literacy in the library including tools to identify their local communities’ health needs. This preconference is sponsored by the National Network of Libraries of Medicine Pacific Northwest Region, the Public Library Association, and the ALA Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services.
Ticket pricing for Preconference: ALA Member: $40/50/$60 – Other Member: $40/$50/$60 – Non-Member: $40/$50/$60
Please feel free to share this with any library you think might be interested.
Please contact Tony Nguyen, Executive Director, with questions regarding this opportunity via e-mail or call 410-706-2855.