Honor an Information Professional
Your chance to re-name MLA’s student scholarships!
Would you like to recognize an individual or group of librarians or educators who have positively impacted health sciences librarianship? This is your opportunity!
MLA seeks to name its three existing student scholarships to honor health information professionals or educators who have made an impact. This is an exciting opportunity for you to suggest names for the scholarships that will honor those recognized and connect scholarship recipients with our profession’s history. Recommendations may be suggested by anyone who has an MLANET login–you do not need to be an MLA member to suggest an honoree.
MLA awards three student scholarships annually. The following scholarships are given to students who show excellence in scholarship and potential for accomplishment in health sciences librarianship.
- The MLA Scholarship grants a scholarship up to $5,000.
- The MLA Scholarship for Underrepresented Students grants a scholarship up to $5,000 to an underrepresented student.
- NEW MLA Scholarship is a third scholarship offered for $1,000.
All submissions will be reviewed by an ad-hoc Naming Workgroup consisting of a representative from each of these Committees: History, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Awards, and Grants & Scholarships. The Workgroup will make a recommendation to the MLA Board.
We hope to announce the names via MLAConnect in February.
For each suggested honoree you plan to submit, please be prepared to respond to the following prompts or indicate that you do not have that information. These reflect the criteria that the Workgroup will be considering as they make their recommendation and the information that would be needed if selected.
- Preferred name of individual(s) with brief biographical statement.
- Brief justification for naming, tie to MLA or to the profession or the scholarship being named.
- How might this nomination advance MLA’s diversity, equity, and inclusion goals?
- Please indicate any library or library-related items already named or proposed to be named in honor of the person(s).
- Please indicate whether you have discussed this nomination with the individual, if living, or their family members. If available, provide their contact information as MLA will attempt to confirm permission to honor the person if they are selected.
- You can upload additional documentation or information if you wish, but it is not required.
To submit a recommendation, visit here. The deadline to submit is December 1, 2022.
If you have questions about this process, please contact the chair of the Grants & Scholarships committee, Lisa Adriani at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for participating in this important effort to recognize those who have positively impacted our profession!