Internship Opportunity: Harrison Medical Library, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
The Harrison Medical Library, on the campus of Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, has an opening for an unpaid library intern for the Fall 2014 semester. The intern will gain a working knowledge of how a community hospital library functions, while experiencing the challenging demands of an academic research clientele. The successful applicant should be comfortable in a clinical setting; a good communicator and listener; have the ability to use good judgment; and to push/pull a book cart. Hours can be scheduled around the library hours of operation, 8 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday.
Interns will have opportunities to work with library staff on opportunities including:
- Assisting with outreach efforts to patients by providing reliable health information directly to inpatients, as well as to patients visiting outpatient clinics
- Marketing of library services
- Mediated literature searching
- Clinical rounds
- Collection and archiving of faculty publications
- Library management
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited Masters of Library/Information Science program and have an interest in medical librarianship
- Recent graduates (within the last year) from an ALA-accredited program will also be considered
Interested persons should send resumes to Linda Gorman, M.L.S., Library Director, at email@example.com; 410-550-0679. Resumes will be accepted through Friday, August 15, 2014.
The library intern will be considered a hospital volunteer and will be required to complete a separate volunteer services application. The hospital will conduct a background check and two TB tests as part of this process.
The Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center will be widely recognized for innovation and excellence in clinical care, education and research in medicine. As a leading academic medical center, we will provide an enriching environment for our employees and an exceptional health care experience for our patients and their families.
Our Core Values
- Excellence & Discovery
- Leadership & Integrity
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Respect & Collegiality