Job Posting: Librarian (Medical), Bethesda Maryland
The Darnall Medical Library, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
(WRNMMC) will be hiring a Librarian (Medical) GS-1410-12. Starting salary is $83,398. Located in Bethesda, MD, we are easily accessible via metro and bus, across the street from the Medical Center stop on the metro’s red line (www.wmata.com). The successful candidate will have a “can do” attitude regarding customer service and collaborating with fellow library staff and customers. They will have experience responding to medical reference questions, facilitating access to online content, and developing medical library collections. If this sounds like you, please consider joining us.
The application will be open from May 24, 2019 to June 6, 2019. The application period reflects our desire to hire talented people quickly.
WRNMMC is the Nation’s largest joint military medical center. We serve military beneficiaries in the Washington, D.C. area as well as those from across the country and around the globe. We are a tertiary care center providing services in over 100 clinics and specialties, and are proud to be known as the first destination in the continental United States to care for the wounded, ill and injured from global conflicts. The Darnall Medical Library team is committed to aiding our healthcare providers by supplying the information that they need, when they need it, in order to ensure the best possible patient outcomes.
Respond to medical reference questions. These may arrive via email, LibAnswers, phone, or walk-in.
Troubleshoot / document / resolve library resource access issues.
Update / maintain information in LibGuides content manager.
Assist Library Director in tracking budget / procurement / license agreements / renewals.
An HR specialist – not a librarian – will be the first person to evaluate your resume. The library only receives a list of candidates the HR specialist forwards to us for consideration. For best results, follow the application tips below.
- Complete the online resume form provided in USAJOBS. You can send your existing resume or CV as supplemental material, but fill out the online resume form. Be sure to send all required documents.
- Do not approach the online resume as a CV. The HR specialist only considers the job duties you list under your job titles to determine if you meet the qualifications of the position. The specialist does not look at other sections such as publications, continued training, classes taught, or committee memberships to evaluate your qualifications.
- Let your official position description be your guide to writing your job duties. Be explicit. Tell what you do in as much detail as possible. Do not assume the HR specialist will know.
- Use the verbiage from the job announcement in your resume. The HR specialist does not know synonyms from our field or other ways of expressing concepts.
- Under the “Qualifications” heading, you will see a section on “Specialized Experienced.” Your job duties MUST address this specialized experience. If your job duties do not reflect the ALL of the specialized experience, the HR specialist will judge you unqualified.
Thank you for helping spread the word to others who may be interested.
Ann M Holman, MLS
Director, Darnall Medical Library
Bldg 1 Rm 3458
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Bethesda MD