Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai’s Levy Library is seeking dynamic candidates for its Reference and Instruction Librarian position. Reporting to the Manager of Information and Education Services, this position supports the reference and instruction needs of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai community. The ideal candidate for this role will be a customer-service oriented information professional knowledgeable about biomedical resources and reference management tools.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai community in the effective use of Levy Library’s resources and services.
- Provide in-class and online instruction to students, faculty and staff on a variety of databases and citation management tools
- Participate in Levy Library’s Ask-A-Librarian service answering reference questions from students, faculty, physicians, nurses, housestaff and others within the Mount Sinai community.
- Manage electronic deposit of Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences theses and dissertations, including maintaining documentation and assisting students through the process.
- Maintain and enhance Levy Library website content pertaining to areas of responsibility.
- Serve as one of Levy Library’s reference management experts, including assisting users through trainings and consultations.
- Develop and maintain awareness of current trends and best practices in reference and instruction services, within and beyond the medical library community
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program required
- Experience using biomedical and interdisciplinary databases such as PubMed/MEDLINE, CINAHL, and Web of Science
- Experience using the EndNote reference management software
- Strong customer service orientation
- Proficient written and spoken communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated aptitude for teaching
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Undergraduate degree in the basic sciences
- Familiarity with bioinformatics resources such as NCBI tools and USCS Genome browser
- Familiarity with LibGuides platform
- Experience with RefWorks, Mendeley, and other reference management tools
- 2-3 years of experience providing library reference and instruction services
Please email cover letter and curriculum vitae to Laura.Schimming@mssm.edu.
About the Mount Sinai Health System
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai is a national and international leader in biomedical education, research and patient care. The Medical School has been consistently ranked as a top 20 medical school in the US and is ranked #17 among U.S. medical schools for National Institutes of Health funding. The Graduate School comprises degree-granting programs in basic science, clinical research, public health, and genetic counseling. The Mount Sinai Health System is an integrated health system committed to providing distinguished care, conducting transformative research, and advancing biomedical education. More information is available on the web (http://icahn.mssm.edu/).