Job Posting: Reference Librarian, Texas Medical Center Librarian, Houston, TX
The Texas Medical Center (TMC) Library is a major research library serving Texas Medical Center researchers, clinicians and students, including two major medical schools and over 20 member institutions. The Library is also the Regional Medical Library for the National Network of Libraries of Medicine South Central Region, with responsibility for providing health information to health professionals and consumers in the five state region of Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.
The TMC Library seeks a Reference Librarian. This individual will be responsible for providing reference services to Library clients, support clients with research assistance and perform literature searches. This position will act as Liaison to the University of Texas Health Science Center School of Nursing, The Prairie View A & M School of Nursing, and other academic nursing programs within the Texas Medical Center.
- Answer reference questions
- Support clients by providing reference and research assistance using online and print resources
- Guide clients through the search process
- Perform literature searches
- Provides on-call reference assistance
- Trains Circulation staff to perform “reference triage”
- Acts as Liaison to the UT, Prairie View A&M and other academic nursing programs within the TMC
- Works with Instructional Technologies Librarian to create specialized LibGuides for nursing programs
- Administers the Library’s LibAnswers System
- Collaborates with nursing faculty to insure accurate and useful nursing resources are housed in the Library’s collections
- Recommends appropriate resource additions to the library collection
- Collaborates with other departments to ensure clients’ needs are met
- Provides assistance and support to other librarians and staff when needed
- Orients new Education and Research Services Staff to library collections
- Completes all activities towards the fulfillment of the Library’s mission and strategic objectives
Education and experience – Required: Master’s degree in library science (or equivalent) from and ALA-Accredited program; one year of reference experience.
Preferred: Working knowledge of medical libraries; experience with the LibAnswers System; background in health or life sciences; knowledge of PubMed and MeSH
The TMC Library offers a complete benefits package which includes health, dental, life and long-term disability insurance. In additional to a comprehensive benefits package, the Library provides paid holidays, vacation accrual, an exceptional retirement plan, and a monthly transportation subsidy.
The TMC Library is an equal employment opportunity institution, providing access to employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation, or disability.
Salary range $39,000 – $41,000
Email or fax cover letter and resume to:
To review the full job ad, please visit http://www.library.tmc.edu/departments/administration/hr/referencelibrarian.html?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed