JOB POSTING – Research and Education Librarian, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
The D. Samuel Gottesman Library at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Research and Education Librarian. Please share this opportunity.
Research and Education Librarian
The D. Samuel Gottesman Library at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine is re-opening the search for a proactive, service-oriented and enthusiastic Research and Education Librarian to support the research and education endeavors of the students, faculty, staff and residents of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and its affiliated institutions. The incumbent will participate in the formal educational efforts of the Library, including the development of instructional materials, research guides, web tutorials, videos, and other support services. In addition, the incumbent will provide consultations and instruction in bibliographic research methods, evidence-based searching, scholarly communication, systematic reviews, and content management tools. This non-tenured faculty position reports to the Head, Research and Education and is a member of a dedicated team. Hours for this position are Monday to Friday, 10am – 6pm.
* Provides reference, information and consultation services for students, faculty and researchers to meet their clinical and scientific information needs in person, by email, telephone, or chat.
* Designs and delivers instruction on effective searching of biomedical and health sciences databases, critical appraisal of search results, citation management, and using clinical point-of-care mobile apps.
* Provides formal and informal training through regularly scheduled classes, webinars, and specialized workshops in support of research, teaching and clinical activities at the College; develops and maintains online tutorials and research guides for specific programs and topics.
* Provides expert literature search services in support of research, teaching and clinical activities for students, post-doctoral fellows, residents, and faculty.
* Participates in new student and faculty orientation sessions.
* Curates and organizes two annual exhibits showcasing faculty authors and journal editors; collaborates with faculty and students on special exhibits.
* Contributes to library-wide planning activities and collaborates with colleagues to identify and develop effective strategies to meet user needs and to make recommendations for improvements, long-range goals, and the formation of library policy and future activities.
* Collaborates with fellow librarians to promote awareness of library services and resources through design and distribution of online library newsletter, vendor-sponsored events, faculty requests, and other promotional activities.
* Monitors developments and best practices in health sciences librarianship, health care, higher education and scholarly communication; participates in relevant regional and national library and health sciences professional organizations and associations.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Competencies
* Master’s degree in library or information science from an ALA-accredited program.
* Minimum 2 years’ experience working in an academic or health sciences library.
* Experience searching biomedical literature and using NCBI databases and tools.
* Commitment to providing excellent customer service and a passion for engaging with learners at all levels.
* Ability to work independently and as a team with a diverse population of faculty, staff, students, and colleagues.
* Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills, both oral and written, including the ability to actively listen, understand and articulate user needs.
* Ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and implement projects and bring them to conclusion in a timely fashion.
* Initiative, resourcefulness, flexibility, and collegiality.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills
* Experience in the design and delivery of user-centered information literacy and evidence-based medicine instruction for adult learners within a health care environment.
* Experience developing instructional materials, program and research guides (LibApps platform).
* Experience collaborating on systematic reviews.
* Familiarity with EndNote, RefWorks and other reference management tools.
* Awareness of emerging library technology tools.
Salary commensurate with experience. Full benefits package.
Qualified candidates should email cover letter, curriculum vitae, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of 3 references to Aurelia Minuti, Head, Research and Education at email@example.com. Please include “Research and Education Librarian” in your email subject heading.
Applications received by May 28, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Einstein), located in the Bronx, NY, is one of the nation’s premier institutions for medical education, basic research and clinical investigation, and proud home to more than 1,900+ faculty and 1,068+ staff, 721 medical students and 178 PhD students, including 109 students in the combined MD/PhD programs, 265+ postdoctoral research fellows and 19.3% International Scholars and Visitors.
Albert Einstein College of Medicine recognizes that having a diverse and inclusive institution is critical to success, and we reaffirm our fervent commitment to fostering a culture in which diversity is a central tenet.
The D. Samuel Gottesman Library serves Einstein’s students, postdoctoral researchers, principal investigators, faculty, staff, and residents at affiliated institutions as well as graduate students and faculty of the Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology of Yeshiva University. For more information please visit our website at https://libguides.einsteinmed.org/about
Job description can also be found at: https://libguides.einsteinmed.org/ResearchLibrarian2021