Job Posting: Research Data Specialist (East Carolina University)
Research Data Specialist
Vacancy #: 977011
Recruitment Range: Commensurate with Qualifications
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Organizational Unit Overview
The William E. Laupus Health Sciences Library (Laupus Library) serves as the primary information resource center for the University’s instructional, research, and patient care programs in the health sciences. It also serves as the comprehensive
information resource center for health care professionals who practice in northeastern North Carolina. In addition, the Laupus Library serves as a secondary resource for nontechnical health care information for health care consumers in the local community. The Laupus Library emphasizes proactive information provision including the acquisition of current and relevant materials, reference services that recognize the existence of diverse levels of client expertise and needs, and the
implementation of new technologies for accessing and managing information.
The Research Data Specialist is a 12-month, full-time faculty position in the Laupus Health Sciences Library of East Carolina University.
The Research Data Specialist is responsible for providing education, support, and expertise to faculty, students, and researchers engaged in data management planning, data acquisition, data sharing, and long-term data stewardship. This position emphasizes collaboration with faculty, students, and researchers in the Division of Health Sciences by supporting data practices and literacies. This position will coordinate data education, curation, and consultation activities. The Research Data Specialist will draw on a broad knowledge of research data management and stewardship, communicate clearly and effectively with researchers and colleagues, and monitor and creatively respond to emerging researcher data needs. Through consults, training, advocacy, and collaborative initiatives, the Research Data Specialist supports data practices across many phases of research and learning. The position reports to the Research Librarian. Minimum salary is $56,000, and initial appointment is a one (1) year fixed-term contract; subsequent renewal may be for a multi-year fixed-term contract. ECU offers an excellent benefits package.
- Educating members of the ECU Division of Health Sciences (DHS) community about data management practices and theory
- Performing outreach in order to position the library as a collaborator in managing research data
- Develop new classes/workshops and provide classroom-based, small group, and individual data trainings, including but not limited to research data management. Potential topics for class development or support services include: data cleaning, reproducibility, coding, data standards, data preservation, locating datasets, quantitative or qualitative data analysis, and data/text mining
- Actively engage in committees and on teams in Laupus Library, the Division of Health Sciences, the university, and professional organizations
- Assisting researchers in meeting data management and sharing requirements of funders and publishers, including providing support for data management and data sharing plans.
- Develop strategies for measuring the impact of the ECU Division of Health Sciences in research output. Identify and implement tools or products supporting effective tracking of research productivity, such as ORCID, etc.
- Coordinating with the Information and Research Services unit to provide metadata and ontology support for datasets
- Supporting preparation and deposit of datasets in repositories, including Dataverse, funder-supported repositories, or other repositories meeting quality criteria
- Support ECU DHS community in making optimal decisions regarding university-supported and/or commercially available technology resources utilized during the research data lifecycle
- Employ data visualization tools illustrating and showcasing the Division of Health Sciences funded research
- Pursue research and professional development activities
- Other duties as assigned
- This position is contingent upon availability of funds.
- Graduate degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program or other relevant accredited graduate degree, and 1 year of relevant experience. Qualifying degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions and conferred by the time of hire.
- Demonstrated ability to teach concepts and practical skills to a diverse audience, using creative teaching techniques
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage projects and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and collegially as a team member and to communicate well with various people in different contexts
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and possessing self-direction
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity in the workplace and community
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Background or experience indicating an ability to become proficient with quantitative or qualitative research tools such as R, SAS and SPSS.
- Experience with data visualization tools or the aptitude and interest in learning such tools·
- Experience with or the aptitude and interest in learning programming languages
- Experience with or the aptitude and interest in learning tools such as Tableau, D3.js, R, and/or Python
- Previous professional work experience within health sciences libraries
- Knowledge of the biomedical research data management landscape
- Knowledge of biomedical information resources, data management, and traditional and alternative research impact measurement tools
- Familiarity with foundational concepts of metadata, data formats, and systems for managing and sharing research data
- Experience providing instruction in an academic setting
- Awareness of scholarly communication issues within the health sciences
- Demonstrated organizational and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with emerging and established technologies, including mobile devices
- Strong service orientation
Special Instructions to Applicant
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- List of Three References (noting contact information)
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Additional Instructions to Applicant
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy #977011 to ECU Human Resources at http://jobs.ecu.edu.
Eligibility for Employment
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/57619