The Tisch Library at Tufts University supports teaching, learning, and the creation and dissemination of scholarship in the School of Arts & Sciences and School of Engineering (AS&E). With an ambitious strategic plan and research agenda, Tufts is a dynamic institution rising in prominence. Through the provision of collections, subject expertise, and technology-rich research and learning environments Tisch Library plays a critical role helping advance the mission of the University.
The Collections department of Tisch Library is newly re-organized to better align with our strategic plans. With a focus on engaging deeply with faculty, we make strategic decisions in how best to provide access and, where appropriate, long-term preservation to the collections needed to support the teaching and research excellence of AS&E. To do this, the department has a deep understanding of the processes of scholarly communication, recognizing how different formats, different modes of communicating information, and different disciplinary practices impact the transfer and development of knowledge over time.
Reporting to the Head of Collections, the successful candidate in this new position will lead Tisch outreach around research data and related data management services, with an emphasis on working with AS&E faculty and researchers. The Librarian for Research Data will be the resident expert for Tisch in current trends in the research data lifecycle and will maintain awareness of relevant funder mandates around research data.
Additional responsibilities include developing best practices for collecting, preserving, and sharing/re-using research data; working with other library and campus partners to design services, programs, and infrastructure related to the research data lifecycle; and providing training and support to colleagues around research data.
As a member of the Collections department, the person in this position will oversee the sciences collection in support of the curricular and research needs of AS&E, and will serve on Tisch and interlibrary teams as needed.
- At the rank of Assistant Librarian, at least 2 years of professional experience. At the rank of Associate Librarian, at least 6 years professional experience.
- ALA-accredited MLIS or equivalent advanced degree/experience.
- Strong service orientation and interest in library patrons’ values and needs.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to work well in a team-based environment with a diverse group and to explain complex topics to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrable expertise in issues around research data.
- Science degree and/or significant educational experience in the sciences or in a lab.
- Thorough understanding of the scholarly communication lifecycle.
- Significant understanding of the common, major funder mandates for open data.
- Experience working with faculty and researchers on data management plans.
- Experience in an academic library.
- Collection development experience.
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds. Please see the Tufts University non-discrimination statement.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:50:05 PM