The University of Connecticut Health Sciences Library https://lib.uconn.edu/health/, located on the Farmington Campus, offers an exciting opportunity to join the UConn Library system.
The Metadata Management Librarian has a unique opportunity to shape how we create, use and manage metadata for the 21st century library. Success in his position calls for innovation, creativity and a willingness to iteratively problem solve in our complex and dynamic environment. The Metadata Management Librarian will collaborate to enable discovery, access and stewardship of the UConn Library’s collections. Along with UConn Health Sciences Library personnel, the Metadata Management Librarian make a positive contribution to a culture of inclusion and respect in all interactions within the library and across the University.
Supervision Received: Reports to the Library Director
Supervision Exercised: Leads professional staff members of lower rank, para and non-professional or other staff as assigned.
Comprehensive Benefits Offered:
* Industry-leading health insurance options and affordability
* Generous vacation and sick-time plans
* Multi-channel retirement options (pension and match options)
* Tuition waiver and reimbursement for employees and qualified family members
* Quick commute access from I-84, Rte 9 and surrounding areas
* State of the art facility and campus environments
* Progressive leadership and educational development programs available
Schedule: 40 hrs per wk, Mon – Fri, 8:30am – 5:00pm with a 30 minute unpaid meal break
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Manages metadata necessary for the discovery, access and stewardship of UConn Library health sciences collections.
* Applies knowledge of relevant international and national standards, rules and best practices for creation, analysis, enrichment, normalization and maintenance of metadata at levels ranging from sets to bibliographic records, items and holdings.
* Collaborates across the university to develop and enhance procedures for effective metadata management and is responsible for developing solutions to metadata access and discovery problems.
Minimum Qualifications Required
Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
* Demonstrated ability to work within a variety of complex and inter-related systems, interfaces and knowledge bases.
* Knowledge of PubMed, Linkout and MeSh subject headings.
* Knowledge of bibliographic utilities, tools and library management systems, vendor cataloging services, authority control services and automated routines for metadata maintenance.
* Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively.
* Demonstrated ability to adapt to change.
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Experience and Training
A Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an American Library Association accredited program (or international equivalent) plus three(3) years of relevant professional library experience in a health science setting.
Two years of the general experience must have involved the performance of professional library tasks at or above the level of Librarian II.
* Bachelor’s or second Master’s degree in fields relevant to position responsibilities (e.g. management of information systems, data analysis, computer sciences)
* Experience with the Alma library management system and the Primo discovery system.
* Demonstrated proficiency in MARC21 and knowledge of current and emerging structured metadata standards, models, applications, and initiatives (examples include RDA, Dublin Core,MODS, METS, BIBFRAME, KBART and Linked Open Data).
* Working understanding of Semantic Web technologies (based on RDF).
* Working knowledge of metadata tools and systems for creating, editing and transforming metadata (e.g. XML,XSLT,Oxygen, MarcEdit, OpenRefine).
* Experience working with APIs and with normalizing and scripting transformations of structured metadata in an XML environment (e.g. JSON).
Full Time Equivalent Minimum Salary: $73,694.00
Why UConn Health
UConn Health https://health.uconn.edu/ is a vibrant, integrated academic medical center that is entering an era of unprecedented growth in all three areas of its mission: academics, research, and clinical care. A commitment to human health and well-being has been of utmost importance to UConn Health since the founding of the University of Connecticut schools of Medicine and Dental Medicine in 1961. Based on a strong foundation of groundbreaking research, first-rate education, and quality clinical care, we have expanded our medical missions over the decades. In just over 50 years, UConn Health has evolved to encompass more research endeavors, to provide more ways to access our superior care, and to innovate both practical medicine and our methods of educating the practitioners of tomorrow.
UConn Health is an affirmative action employer, in addition to an EEO and M/F/V/PWD/PV employer.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at www.ethics.state.ct.us
Click link to apply: https://jobs.uchc.edu/CSS_External/CSSPage_JobDetail.ASP?T=20181030150105&