MLA Philadelphia Regional Chapter Job Posting
Medical Librarian – 1405010188
The incumbent in the position will direct all functions of the Margery H. Nelson Medical Library. The individual must demonstrate excellent management skills for the operations of the medical library, maintaining the library collections, and managing the library budget to meet library operations. The individual will also provide a wide range of library services to help improve the quality of patient care and continually educate health care professionals. The person will handle all circulation and book loan requests for library patrons. A strong emphasis is placed on meeting the interlibrary loan requests for the hospital staff on a timely basis. The person will select and review print and electronic materials from book publishers and journal vendors to keep the medical library collection current for the hospital and its surrounding community. The person will handle reference services and perform literature searches for the clinical staff. The Director will also handle all aspects of library web development. This includes creating, updating and managing the Library website. The individual will participate in monthly Education Committee Meetings. The individual must have a positive attitude, be self-motivated, have excellent interpersonal communication, and adapt to not only library trends but to the needs of the Pediatric Hospital.
– Provides in-depth complex medical literature searches using Health Science databases,
appropriate Internet resources or external resources and networks to identify, analyze and filter
biomedical information to meet the needs/demands of clinical & education search requests.
– Provide reference service in person, by telephone, or through email.
– Communicate and support all clinical staff in their Education and Clinical Information needs.
– Answer general library questions and reference questions.
– Practical use of the Docline system for interlibrary loans.
– Article delivery and retrieval for Hospital patrons.
– Knowledge of computers and common software programs, including word processing,
spreadsheet, email programs, and Adobe Pro.
– Assist Library patrons with computer issues and PC applications.
– Manage and update Library website.
– Monitors PC issues, resolve problems or elevate to local IS for support.
– Communicate with vendors for pricing, troubleshooting library systems and other matters.
– Conduct library orientations and reference instruction sessions.
– Manage library print resources and online collections.
– Practical use of library automation system. (EOS)
– Copy Catalog print and E-resources in the MARC format using AACR2 standard.
Training & Education
– Required: Master’s in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution.
– AHIP (Academy of Health Information Professionals) certification
– Demonstrated continuing education, development and knowledge of library trends and technologies.
– 5 years of experience in library sciences. Clinical or public health background in medical, hospital or academic health center preferred.
– Pediatric Health Science library experience preferred.
– Experience with cataloging of library materials.
– Experience using online systems and databases.
– Experience with managing a monograph & serials collection.
– Experience managing a website.
– Experience working with a diverse patron population meeting their information needs.
– Experience with business and budgets, vendor negotiations, purchasing and contracting.
– Experience with Doc line system, serial journal experience.
– Conceptual knowledge of evidence based medicine concepts with operational experience
– Experience with CINAHL, Pub Med, BOVID, Med Line, Cochran and Up to Date preferred
– Experience with medical education on patient care rounds, family library resource services, strategic planning and library modernization is preferred.
868- St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children – Philadelphia, PA
Job Type : Full-time
Shift Type : Days