Job Posting: Reference Librarian, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
Are you interested in joining a leading health care organization?
We are seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Reference Librarian to join the RUO Library team at Rush University Medical Center!
The Reference Librarian provides general biomedical reference service and computerized database searches for clinicians, faculty and students of the Medical Center and Rush University.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides consultations for in-depth research and answers in-person, telephone, and electronically-transmitted inquiries using various print and electronic resources, both in-house and remote. These could include library catalog, reference tools, bibliographic or full-text databases, Internet sources, and other networked resources. Reference questions range from directional to extremely complex.
- Provides direct reference services, including computer literature searches to library clients at scheduled time at the reference desk.
- Teaches courses offered by the reference section, including PubMed, OVID MEDLINE, and Ref Works; courses for specific departments within the University; and end user searching courses. Conducts workshops and information sessions demonstrating the Library’s information system as well as other systems including Medline.
- Provides librarian clinical liaison service (which includes tailored information services to patients and health professionals).
- Researches and participates in the implementation of new technologies and tools for the reference section, with emphasis on technologies that assist in search result analysis.
- Provides current awareness to colleagues for significant changes and training events related to major library database vendors.
- Continues to develop professionally by participation in professional organizations, conferences, professional reading and/or publishing. Represents the library to other medical libraries and professional organizations.
- Participates in activities and projects of the library and the reference section.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Master’s Degree in Library Information Science from an ALA-accredited school required.
- Online database training on several of the major database vendors (NLM, OVID, Dialog) required.
- Professional reference experience desired, preferably in an academic health sciences setting.
- Experience performing online searches using biomedical information resources desired. Teaching experience desired.
- Experience using an integrated library system.
- Microcomputer experience desired, especially with library applications.
- Normal library environment where there is no physical discomfort due to temperature, dust, noise and the like.
Job ID: 2014-0135