Position open at HS/HSL, University of Maryland
From Anna Tatro:
May 12, 2009
Non-Tenure Track Faculty Position Vacancy Health Sciences and Human Services Library
TITLE: Head of Reference and Research Services University of Maryland
MINIMUM SALARY: $54,000 601 West Lombard Street Baltimore, Maryland 21201
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: The Health Sciences and Human Services Library (HS/HSL), University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) seeks a knowledgeable, energetic, and creative Head of Reference and Research Services to manage the Library’s support for research, teaching and learning at UMB. The librarian in this position reports to the Associate Director for Services.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Head of Reference and Research Services supports research, instruction and clinical needs of students, faculty and staff at UMB. As part of a management team, she/he establishes best practices that advance the Library’s strong service mission. The Head of Reference and Research Services serves on campus- and university system-wide committees. She/he collaborates with colleagues at regional and national levels and is active professionally.
• Supervises and mentors the reference and research services staff (6 FTEs), including hiring, training, professional development and performance appraisal.
• Manages high quality reference and research services, incorporating new technologies such as social networking tools into service delivery.
• Leads service development, including needs assessments and evaluation of services.
• Leads the development, coordination and management of service-oriented projects such as the auto alert service.
• Manages staff support for public computing within the building and collaborates with Library IT department to design public computer setup, including hardware and software.
• Manages expert searching service that provides research support for faculty, students and staff.
• With the Head of Liaison and Outreach Services, oversees instruction and web tutorial development in literature searching, health literacy, citation management, etc.
• Ensures the immediate promotion of health news to the campus and to the state of Maryland through web resources and RSS feeds.
• Manages Library emergency preparedness response: supplies critical health information to UMB and beyond in the event of an emergency.
• ALA accredited MLS
• Minimum 3 years library experience in public service
• Minimum 1 year supervisory experience or equivalent demonstrated strong leadership skills
• Demonstrated excellent customer service skills
• Demonstrated strong technical skills
• Demonstrated strong database searching skills
• Demonstrated strong instructional skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Strong analytical and organizational skills
• Ability to motivate, establish priorities and meet deadlines
• Professionally active in librarianship
• Minimum 3 years public service experience in an academic health sciences library
• Minimum 1 year supervisory experience in an academic health sciences library
• Skills and experience delivering instruction to a range of user communities, including the academic environment, clinical settings and health information for consumers
• Experience in instructional design and course development
• Experience in developing and managing innovative services, especially using new technologies
• Experience in assessment of services
• Grant writing and project management experience
• Professionally active in the field of medical librarianship
• AHIP certified
BENEFITS: Generous benefits include choice of retirement, medical, and dental plans; 22 days of annual leave, 15 days of sick leave, 3 personal days, and 14 holidays. Regular employees, as well as their spouses and dependent children, may receive tuition remission for most programs at many campuses of the University System of Maryland.
ENVIRONMENT: UMB is located in downtown Baltimore, blocks from Orioles Park at Camden Yards, Raven’s Stadium, and the Inner Harbor, a recreational waterfront destination. Forty-five miles north of Washington DC, Baltimore City and the surrounding metropolitan area are noted for high quality-of-life indicators offering historic parks, great neighborhoods, and world famous art collections, museums, theaters, and symphony orchestras. The city has easy access to public transportation systems, superior health care systems, and renowned university and educational resources.
The HS/HSL is the second largest medical school library on the East Coast, providing access to more than 30,000 electronic journals, 162 current print journals, approximately 170,000 books and 6,000 electronic books. Sixty-five FTEs and 25 faculty librarians staff the library. Our attractive facility, which opened in 1998, has a wireless network, three computer classrooms and 57 publicly accessible computer workstations. The library offers a variety of study spaces, including over 120 study carrels and 45 group study rooms.
The Library supports over 6,000 students, 2,100 faculty and 4,000 staff on UMB’s 60-acre research and technology complex of 58 buildings including the University of Maryland Medical Center. UMB’s professional and graduate schools include a dental school, graduate school, and schools of law, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, and social work. More details about UMB can be found at http://www.umaryland.edu.
APPLICATIONS: For best consideration, submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and names/addresses/phone numbers of three references by June 15, 2009. Include on separate page the verification statement: “I verify that the contents of this curriculum vitae are accurate and current.” Sign and date affidavit and mail/fax with curriculum vitae. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Send curriculum vitae and verification statement to: Ms. Jane Peters, UM-HS/HSL, Human Resources Office, 601 W. Lombard Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201 or fax to 410-706-3101.
The University of Maryland is an AA/EOE/ADA employer. The University supports diversity initiatives and encourages minorities to apply.
For more information, call (410) 706-6747 or visit the Library web site at: http://www.hshsl.umaryland.edu.
Anna Tatro, MLS
Liaison and Outreach Services Librarian
Health Sciences and Human Services Library
University of Maryland
601 West Lombard Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
410 706 7374
Please Sign Up for the HS/HSL’s e-newletter, Connective Issues